The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is meant to be treated like a marathon, not a sprint. If you try to race through it like Black Friday, chances are you’ll end up tired, dehydrated, crampy, and cranky.
That said, I wanted to shared what I’ve bought so far as a means to help you focus in on the good stuff if you’re feeling overwhelmed by the literally thousands of items that are in this sale. I did my shopping in a couple rounds, online first, then in person with my mom in tow. I’ll definitely be able to comment much more on the stuff I saw in store, but I’ll try to be as comprehensive as I can.
- Madewell Ryder Cardigan: There are so many long cardigans on sale this year, but this one is my favorite for both the softness of the material (it’s a synthetic, merino wool, and alpaca blend) and the shape of the draping. There seems to be some talk of past iterations pilling really easily so hopefully Madewell has figured it out and solved the issue!
- Lush Back Tie Blouson Dress: Ordered online and then saw in store…the white print is even prettier in person and I love that it’s more summery and can be worn right away. The navy flower print is also very pretty in person and looks very similar to a print I recently saw on a Banana Republic dress.
- Topshop Jamie Jeans: (Worn with BP. Tie Front Blouse) My absolute favorite jeans ever, they fit like a dream and have just the right amount of compression. I’m not crazy about the light wash, but I know they’ll be nice to wear for summer.
- Gibson Tie Front Cozy Fleece Pullover: Super soft material in a few colors. Mom bought this because its just really easy to throw on on a cool day. Simplicity w/ a literal twist to keep things interesting.
- Halogen Taylor Ankle Skinny Pants: Trying out the petite sizes in these and hoping they fit as well as the regular sizing does!
- BP. Pocket Tee: Comes in a bunch of colors. Neckline looks a little low so will have to see what it looks like when it arrives.
- O’Neill Hawthorne Sharkbite Hem Dress: O’Neill came on the anniversary scene last year with a surprisingly beautiful set of shift dresses in cute prints. This year is no different. I had trouble deciding which color to get, but ended up going with the black because I thought it would be most flattering.
- The North Face Thermoball Primaloft Hooded Parka: Lightweight and long, with feminine tailoring. Classy and functional!
- The North Face Resolve Plus Waterproof Jacket: A great basic windbreaker with a hood that can tuck away. I really like the high collar on this design!
- The North Face Tuvu Water Repellent Parka: My sister is moving to a city with much harsher winters than she’s used to so she needed to invest in a really good coat. This one has toms of pockets and the fur trim zips off for a convertible look!
- BlankNYC Faux Leather Jacket: Between my mom and I we own this jacket in 3 colors, so why not add a 4th? I have seriously never tried on another leather jacket that fit our petite frames so well. Although Nordstrom’s alterations are generous, many times leather jackets have details and zips on the sleeves that prevent them from being shortened.
- Betsey Johnson Forever Perfect Underwire Demi Bra: Definitely one of my favorite bras ever, so I was excited to get a new color this year. I love that the straps can be converted to racerback, to be able to wear with sleeveless tops with an extra touch of security.
- Spanx Higher Power Mid-Thigh Shaping Shorts: In general, I’m not a huge proponent of using Spanx for looking slimmer. I think they do an okay job of smoothing out lumps and bumps, but the main thing I use them for is to prevent dreaded thigh rub. That said, my current pair of shaping shorts is just too short and i keep having issues with the top rolling down. Here’s hoping these ones with a higher waist will stay put a little more often.
- BP. Tale 2 Slide: Ordered online in a couple sizes because it says it runs small
- Halogen Oliver Ankle Wrap Flat: Ordered in both black and pink, but had a really hard time deciding which colors to get. Like, I’m still debating whether I made the right choices…
- Vince Camuto Ankia Pump: This may be the item I’m most excited about from the whole sale. I tried these on in person and had to order a smaller size so am awaiting their arrival in the mail. But even from the pair I tried on, I could tell these would be a favorite: they are tall but super comfortable, and the cut on them is so chic and flattering (the women trying on shoes around me were piling on the compliments :D…that’s when you know)
- BP. Boyfriend Watch, 38mm: For a while I’ve been intrigued by the watches made by BP., which always seem a little too inexpensive for how polished they look online. When this arrives, i will definitely be scrutinizing its quality with an air of skepticism. I opted for the gold/black option because I already have a silver link watch, although the marble face on the silver looks super cute.
- Stila Stay All Day Kit: Was really excited to see this repeated for this years’ sale. I borrow my roommate’s Patina lip color all the time so it’ll be good to finally have my own! Also have heard a lot of great things about the eyeliner so am excited to try it.
- Estee Lauder Radiant Skin Collection: Purchased as gifts, with the added bonus of free gifts for spending over $45!
- Nars Lip Pencil Kit: My mom got these for herself and as gifts. I myself have been using these for a couple years now and still am loving their creamy texture and ease of use. This set is a really great deal with lots of great colors. Love that it comes with a cute makeup bag and a sharpener!
- Nest Frangrance Diffuser in Bamboo and Grapefruit: The bottles are way large than I imagined, and I’m excited to see/smell them in action in my room!
- Voluspa Vermeil Mini Tin Candle Set: A great set of scents with really beautiful tins. These make excellent gifts but also add classiness to your own decor!
- Voluspa Maison Blanc Mini Tin Candle Set: I did a thorough sniff of all the candles of both the Maison Blanc and Maison Noir and i went with the Blanc on the basis of that there were 2 scents in the Noir I was not excited about
- Nordstrom Classic Regular Fit Oxford Pique Polo: Great material, classic silhouette, many color options, at a great price!
- Ted Baker London Derry Modern Slim Fit Polo: I’m a huge fan of Ted Baker’s womenswear, but it’s good to know that the brand still is killin it in the men’s department, given that’s where the label started.
On second thought…. (things I said no to after seeing them/trying them on in person)
- Kendra Scott Elle Filigree Drop Earrings: I was excited about this collection of pieces because they weren’t mixed metal. However, upon closer inspection, the lattice middle the pendant is made of a different material (more of a stainless steel) than the rhodium rim. Although this may not be noticeable to many, the color still just looks little mismatched for my taste
- Lush Bell Sleeve Tee: The style was just a little too slouchy for my taste and body type
- BP. Tie Front Blouse: I couldn’t get these ties to sit right on me. The way it was tied by the store left a hole in the middle of my torso, but when I tied it tighter, the ties were too long/bulky
- Topshop Balloon Sleeve Tee: I actually really liked the sleeves on this and also liked the material of the sleeves but the torso was made out of a flimsy jersey that was a bit see-through
- Topshop Strappy Culotte Jumpsuit: As suspected, this cute piece was too long on me and it’s just not a piece that I’m willing to go through the trouble of getting altered. Love the strappy neckline though!
- Halogen Bow Neck Top: In person it became more clear that the tie at the top was a half bow and not a full bow (1 loop, 2 tails of uneven length). Maybe I’m just not into asymmetry, but I didn’t like the unfinished and uneven look this gave.
- Halogen Scallop Edge Sweater: In the catalog this top tooked more like a blouse top and less like a sweater (yes, I know it says sweater in the product name but it was wishful thinking taking over here) I don’t really like the idea of it being sweater material, especially since the scallop hem is unfinished–it almost feels like it’s going to unravel at any second.
Honorable Mentions (Things I didn’t buy but I definitely would if I had infinite money/closet space)
- Rails “Hunter” Plaid Button Up: I love love love these shirts–the material, tailoring, patterns–but $100 is still too much for me to spend on a flannel.
- Sugarfina “Faves” Tasting Box: A super cute gift for anyone who is into cutesiness and sugar
- Antica Farmacistica Diffuser in Prosecco: I loved this scent and was so close to getting it but the Nest ones were simply cheaper.
- Baublebar Mini Metallic Pinata Statement Earrings: Love the rose gold color, but simply just don’t have anywhere to wear these.
- Madewell Necklaces: I only linked to one of the few Madewell jewelry offerings in this sale but I honestly love them all. If my jewelry rack weren’t already teeming with stuff from Madewell I’d probably buy at least one. It speaks to the quality, versatility, and durability of their jewelry that I’d still be wearing them on repeat even after a few years.
- Madewell Catskills Jacket: This is really similar to their Fleet jacket which everyone and their mom seem to own (for reference, I do own it, and my mom does not). A drawstring waist and lots of pockets help make this piece as flattering as it is functional.
- Halogen Wool and Cashmere Drape Front Sweater Vest: I own this piece in a color from last year and it is a dream: super cozy fabric, keeps your torso warm, and is easy to throw on
- Halogen Long Sleeve Knit Tunic: These are made of a nice, sturdy, and stretchy material and have a cut on them that is universally flattering. Love that it comes in petite sizes too!
- Topshop Patchwork Marled Cardigan: I own a TopShop oversize cardigan in this material and I LOVE it. Plush material that keeps you warm (a little too warm sometimes…I’ve broken out in a sweat walking between classes!), an easy relaxed silhouette, and a cute statement pattern. You just look cool wearing it. Definitely size down though as it is quite an oversized item!
The 2017 Nordstrom Anniversary sale goes on from July 13 – 20th for cardholders only but everyone can shop the sale between July 21st – August 6th